European law and finances
- From European Community to European Union
- The competences of the European Union
- The legal system of the European Union
- The finances of the European Union
- Bibliography on European law and finances
The European Community is dead! Long live the European Union! In the previous chapter we saw that the treaty of Lisbon replaced the treaty establishing the European Community (TEC) by the treaty on the functioning of the European Union (TFEU). This means that the European Community (EC) does not exist any more. It is taken over by the European Union (EU). In this chapter we analyse, first, the consequences of this major progress in European integration. We then examine the competences of the European Union, its legal system and its financing system. The treaty of Lisbon has brought important changes in all these aspects of the European integration.